Your photo is a vital part of your application. If the image you provide is not suitable green card lottery, the system will not allow you to submit the photo. You may have to take another photo with a digital camera or modify the format to meet the minimum technical requirements. Please make sure you know how to provide a suitable photo to avoid any delays.
The Digital Image Must Adhere to the Following Specifications:
- Dimensions: The image dimensions must be in a square aspect ratio (the height must be equal to the width). Minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 x 600 pixels. Maximum acceptable dimensions are 1200 x 1200 pixels;
- Color: The image must be in color (24 bits per pixel) in sRGB color space which is the common output for most digital cameras;
- File Format: The image must be in JPEG file format;
- File Size: The image must be less than or equal to 240 kB (kilobytes).
Use the Free Photo Tool to Edit the Photo:
- Select a digital image stored on your computer;
- Resize and rotate it if necessary;
- Crop it to a square image of exactly 600 x 600 pixels;
- Save it to your computer to submit online.
While we recommend you to use a professional photo service to ensure your photos meet all the requirements, you may take the photo yourself. Please remember that photos must not be digitally enhanced or altered to change your appearance in any way. The acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U.S. embassy or consulate where you apply for a visa.
Acceptable Visa Photos:
- The subject must directly face the camera;
- The subject’s head should not be tilted up, down, or to the side;
- The head height or facial region size (measured from the top of the head, including the hair, to the bottom of the chin) must be between 50 percent and 69 percent of the image’s total height.The eye height (measured from the bottom of the image to the level of the eyes) should be between 56 percent and 69 percent of the image’s height.
The subject should be in front of a neutral, light-colored background.
The photograph must be in focus.
No Decorative Items:
The subject must not wear sunglasses or other items that detract from the face.
No Head Coverings or Hats:
Head coverings or hats worn for religious beliefs are acceptable, but the head covering may not obscure any portion of the face. Tribal or other headgear not religious in nature may not be worn. Photographs of military, airline, or other personnel wearing hats will not be accepted.